From cataract surgery to getting a broken hip set, there are many reasons why an aging adult might need to get surgery.
Depending on the elderly person’s health and the reason for the surgery, recovery might be fast. However, most surgeries take some time to heal, and elderly adults often need someone around to assist them with daily tasks. Family caregivers should investigate hiring senior care providers to provide in-home care to aging adults that have recently had surgery.
Here are 5 reasons for family caregivers to hire senior care providers after an aging relative has gone through surgery:
1. Reminders About Medication: Most doctors will prescribe pain medication to elderly adults to take in the days after the surgery. However, due to fatigue, confusion, and lack of concentration, many elderly adults struggle to take the right medication at the right time. A senior care provider can remind the aging adult when to take their pills and even make notes about it for the family caregiver.
2. Grocery Shop and Prepare Meals: Of course, an aging adult recovering from surgery won’t be able to prepare meals for themselves, much less make trips to the grocery store. With a senior care provider, elderly adults can have nutritious meals and snacks while they heal.
3. Self-Care: It can be quite hard for elderly adults to take care of themselves while recovering from surgery. Showering or bathing, dressing, grooming, and toileting could be serious obstacles for seniors, but a senior care provider is skilled at assisting in each of these areas. In many cases, adaptive devices like shower chairs, grab bars, and more can make it easier for all.
4. Housekeeping and Laundry: If elderly adults recovering from surgery cannot take care of themselves, they are certainly in no condition to keep the house clean and do laundry. However, it’s essential for them to be in a clean and comfortable environment. Senior care providers can take care of light housekeeping and laundry when they are giving in-home care.
5. Companionship: It’s easy to overlook an elderly person’s mental health during an in-home recovery period. Recovering from surgery can be frustrating, painful and even boring. Seniors are usually quite isolated socially and living with pain can leave them irritable, fatigued or sad. A senior care provider can act as a companion for them and make them feel safe.
Recovery can be extremely challenging for aging adults, and family caregivers may not have the time or resources to be with them all the time. Hiring a professional home care provider means that the aging adult is well-cared for, which increases the chances of healing more quickly.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring a Caregiver in Eufaula, AL, please contact the caring staff at Wiregrass HomeCare today. Call us at 334-539-5900.
- Senior Health: How Common is Anemia in Older Women? - September 9, 2021
- Constipation: Best Natural Treatments for Constipation - August 31, 2021
- Senior Care Tips: Ways That You Can Help Your Elderly Loved One Stop Hoarding? - August 6, 2021